Last weekend, 42, the highly-anticipated biopic about baseball legend Jackie Robinson, was released in theaters. A sub-set of the sports film genre, biopics focus on the lives, challenges, and successes of heroes in various sports arenas. Although most take some liberties, a worthwhile biopic tries to present the facts and emotions, the good and the bad, of the subject’s life. While some sports biopics are simply for entertainment, in recent years, many actors in sports biopics have received nominations and awards for their performances (e.g., Christian Bale and Melissa Leo in The Fighter, Robert De Niro in Raging Bull, Sandra Bullock in The Blind Side). The success of biopics at the box office and the continued interest in inspirational sports figures promise a strong future for this particular movie genre.
If you’re in the mood for a biopic of a sports figure this weekend, browse the HCPL catalog and request a movie today!
- Ali (Muhammad Ali)
- The Blind Side (Michael Oher)
- Chariots of Fire (Eric Liddell & Harold Abrahams)
- Cinderella Man (James J. Braddock)
- The Express (Ernie Davis)
- The Fighter (Mickey Ward)
- Invincible (Vince Papale)
- The Jackie Robinson Story (Jackie Robinson)
- The Pride of the Yankees (Lou Gehrig)
- Raging Bull (Jake LaMotta)
- The Rookie (Jim Morris)
- Rudy (Daniel “Rudy” Ruettiger)
- Soul Surfer (Bethany Hamilton)