What's your favorite banned book?
This week is Banned Books Week, so I decided to find out what some of the favorite banned or challenged books were for the librarians at our branch!
- Our Branch Manager Sandra Silvey said that her favorite banned books are written by Shel Silverstein and J.K. Rowling.
- Jennifer Finch, Young Adult Librarian, agreed that J.K. Rowling is one of her favorites, as well as Judy Blume.
- Christie Baldwin, Children’s Librarian, said that the Junie B. Jones series is her favorite banned series.
- Anna Gonzelez, Children’s Assistant, said Brown Bear, Brown Bear is her favorite banned book. This book was recently challenged here in Texas due to a mix-up of author Bill Martin Jr.’s name!
- My favorite banned book is Bless Me, Ultima by Rudolofo Anaya. I had to read it back in high school for an assignment. I didn’t think I’d like it much since it wasn’t the type of book I usually read. I finished it and decided it had a good story to it, and I didn’t mind at all when I had to read it a few years later for library school!
So, now that you know our favorite banned and challenged books, what’s yours?