Does anybody really care? Yes! I do! Because I’m a sucker for time travel stories. Have been since I was a kid. I like watching the time traveler cope with a land in which the familiar is suddenly unfamiliar. And maybe they learn a thing or two along the way.
- Doctor Who (1963-1989, 2005- ) – The good Doctor has been with us through 11 incarnations and doesn’t seem to be stopping anytime soon. A British series originally created for family viewing – and especially kids -- it has become more complex over the years. By turns funny, scary, and downright silly, the Doctor and his companions are great entertainment.
- The Time Machine (1960) – H.G. Wells classic of an inventor who simply must see what glorious things the future holds for mankind. Boy, is he in for a surprise.
- Time After Time (1979) – This time a movie about H.G. Wells -- and Jack the Ripper. (I had no idea they knew each other, but in this movie, they do.) Oh, and there’s a love story, too. Serial killers and true love. What more could you ask of a movie?
- Back to the Future (1985, 1989, 1990) – The entire trilogy. You can’t watch just one. Teenager Marty McFly bounces back and forth in time and learns what really matters in life: love and family.
- Kate & Leopold (2001) – Can a modern woman find the man of her dreams in the past? Hey, it’s a romantic comedy. Of course, she can.
- Life on Mars (2006-2007) – The original British series about a 21st century detective thrown into the world of 1970s cops. Naturally, the cop from the future will show the cops in the past how cases really get solved. Or will they show him a thing or two?
I've listed only a few of my favorites, but I know that there are plenty more, from the ridiculous to the sublime. Which do you prefer?