All together, HCPL Summer Readers have read
279,075 books | 2,899,230 total minutes
(updated Mon. Aug. 7)
HCPL's Summer Reading Program is Serious Fun!
There's still plenty of time! Join us June 5 - August 5 for fun programs and activities. Log your reading all summer long to earn cool prizes!
Summer Reading FAQs
The Summer Reading Program is open to readers of all ages! There are four separate age groups for the program: Babies (0-2), Kids (3-11), Teens (12-17), and Adults (18+).
No! You do not need a library card to sign up for the Summer Reading Program or to attend any library programs. However, you need a library card to borrow materials from the library or from the Digital Media Catalog. Visit the library card page and find the right card works for you.
Participate in the Summer Reading Program by creating an account on Beanstack.
Art, Music, Theater & More All Summer Long!
Summer Reading 2023 Challenges
We will post a new reading challenge each week of Summer Reading to keep you on your toes! Try one or two, or, all of them!
Why summer reading?
- Kids and teens who read for pleasure during the summer have to spend less time and energy relearning lost skills when school starts.
- As little as ten minutes a day of reading works wonders for children's language skills.
- All the special, fun summer activities at the library can motivate reluctant readers.
- Tracking the time they spend reading or the number of books they have read gives children a sense of accomplishment.
- HCPL's Summer Reading Program is fun for the whole family--from baby to seniors.
- You earn cool prizes for reading, attending library programs and doing other activities.
Get a Library Card
HCPL offers a variety of library cards- All free and available to Harris County residents! Find the right card for you and see all that the library has to offer.