The policies and procedures for displaying informational brochures, flyers, pamphlets, posters or arts and crafts are established herein. Display of these items does not constitute an endorsement by the County or the Library. The responsibility for implementing this policy and for displaying the above items rests with the individual librarian in charge of the building where the items are to be displayed. The Library Director retains final authority for implementing this policy.
I. Inside Library
Informational brochures, flyers, pamphlets, posters, or arts and crafts may be displayed in designated areas within the branch libraries of Harris County upon approval by the Branch Librarian. Final authority remains with the Library Director.
Regulations for Display of Materials
- Library-related items, including Friends of the Library information, will receive first priority for displaying purposes. Other items will be displayed on a first-come, first-served basis.
- The Librarian in charge reserves the right to enforce time, place, and manner restrictions on the display if necessary.
II. Outside Library
The public may set up tables on county property outside the library to display informational materials or for the signing of petitions. Use of the property does not constitute an endorsement by the County or the library of points of view expressed by any person or group. No advertisement or announcement implying such endorsement will be permitted.
Regulations for Display of Materials on Library Grounds and Signing of Petitions on Library Grounds
NOTE: Librarians in buildings that are city-owned should contact their city to find out the city's policy on such requests.
- A person or group may only set up one table and have one chair. The table and chair must be provided by the group or person requesting to set up a table outside the library.
- A person or group may not attach anything to our buildings.
- A person or group cannot place the table so that it obstructs people from entering and leaving the building. They may not place the table on sidewalks leading to the building in such a way that our customers have to walk around the table in order to get to the library building.
- A person's or group's table may not be near the entrance to the library.
- A person or group may only be outside of the library during the hours the branch library is open to the public.