Crosby Library is located on Hare Rd between FM 2100 and Miller Wilson Rd. From I-10 E take Beltway 8 north to Highway 90. At the Highway 90 intersection turn right, heading east and get on Highway 90. Exit at the FM 2100/FM 1492/Crosby exit. At the light take a left, heading north and continue on FM 2100 through Crosby, over the railroad tracks, and through the traffic light. Once past the flashing yellow light, turn right at the shopping center onto Hare Rd. The library is on the left next to the post office. | Alternately, from FM 1960 E, turn right on FM 2100. Cross the railroad tracks and continue approximately 11 miles. Turn left at the light onto Hare Road. The library is on the left just past the post office. (Key Map #419C)
2013 tax forms and instruction booklets are here and are free of charge. Please ask at the circulation desk if you need additional forms. You may print forms from the IRS website at www.irs.gov. The AARP Foundation offers free individualized tax preparation at many locations nationwide. To find help near you, visit the website and type in your zip code.
The Friends of Crosby Branch Library will host a book sale on Friday, March 7, from 1-6 pm, and Saturday, March 8, from 10-5 pm. New and used items will be on sale in the meeting room. Proceeds benefit Crosby Branch Library. Come shop with us!
The Crosby Branch library was dedicated October 9, 1987. The Crosby Friends of the Library was established in December, 1979 to help build the current building. They continue to support the library and it's programs. Crosby also has had an active adult literacy program since 1988. The Crosby Friends of the Library was established in December 1979 to help build the current building. They continue to support the library and it's programs. Crosby also has had an active adult literacy program since 1988.
The drive to establish a county library in Crosby began in 1921. The first collection of 87 books arrived January 22, 1922.
In 1929, the Crosby community began a movement to acquire a building for the library. Mr. O.A. Reidland donated a 9 X 12 foot building, Mr. J. J. Orsag agreed to lend the library a lot and have the building moved to the site. Mr. Albert Nelson provided carpentry work and painting to get the building into shape. On January 5, 1930, the building opened. Mrs. Ada Anderson was the branch librarian. In 1931 there were 812 volumes in the collection with a circulation of 8,960. In 1933 the building was expanded to 12 x 18 feet and acquired a new roof, floor, shelving and window.
In 1956 the library moved to an air-conditioned office building. The Sorosis Club and local citizens assisted in the move and the community provided the furnishings. Mrs. Louise Reynolds was the librarian and stayed with the county until her retirement in October 1978. Joe Washburn became librarian until June 1979 when Nancy Stephens took over. In 1979, the collection was 4000 volumes with a circulation of 14,800.
In October 1979, the Crosby Newport Optimist Club began a drive to move and expand the branch. A Friend's group was organized in December 1979 and January 1980. The interest shown by the community led the Commissioners Court to approve rental of a larger space for the library. A site was found at 514 Church St. The Friends of the Crosby Library purchased a circulation desk, picture book shelf, table and chairs and a 16mm film projector with funds from their membership drive and book sales. The Harris County Library system bought shelving, an outside book drop and other furniture. The formal opening was on April 12, 1980. The library was open 32 hours a week and provided a storytime
In July 1980, Commissioners Court approved two full-time employees, allowing the library to be open 41 hours a week. Nieves Lehmann transferred from Stratford Branch in October 1980 and became the Assistant Librarian. The collection was 4900 volumes with a circulation of 26,700. The new Crosby Library had a groundbreaking ceremony on July 31, 1986. The library was more than five times the size of the old building on Church Street and the staff increased from two to five employees.
The dedication for the new library was October 8, 1987. County Commissioner Jim Fonteno handed the key to Maxine Hilburn, librarian. A live oak tree was planted to honor librarian Bruce Hancey for his efforts at getting the library relocated to the new building.
In November 1989, Crosby resident Hazel Clibourn donated a living Christmas tree to the library. The tree was planted near the front doors of the library and continues to grow to this day. The Crosby Library celebrated it's 10 year anniversary October 1997. The Friends of the Library held a reception for the community. A crepe myrtle was planted beside the library in honor of the event. A Bradford pear tree was planted in May 1999 in memory of Friend of the Library, Helen Steinbeck.
The Library closed for renovations on December 1, 2006 at 6 PM. The library was painted, had new carpet installed and had other updates. The library reopened on Monday, January 22, 2007 at noon. The library has a much brighter and more open appearance and has received many compliments.
Information for Persons with Disabilities: Harris County Public Library will make reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities who are interested in attending library programs. To make a request for yourself or someone you know, please notify the Branch Librarian two working days in advance of the program.