It is that time of year again; school has ended for the summer & the library’s summer reading program has begun! Reading is a fundamental part of the learning process, and it is also a fantastic way to unwind from stress and escape to another world. So, reading is a true necessity no matter what time of year it is!
Here are some easy tips for getting your whole family in the spirit of reading together and on their own:
1. Get comfy & keep it simple: When it comes to getting in the mood to read, sometimes it helps to make the environment welcoming and relaxing. Set up an area by a window with big pillows or bean bags. Create a wonderful reading nook with a pillow fort or stringed lights for your reading spot at home. Have your favorite books and some new ones handy. All you need now is a cozy blanket, and then dive into your next book and enjoy!
2. Make it part of your routine: They say it takes 59 to 70 days to form a habit but making something a regular part of your routine can help increase the chances of it becoming a habit. Choose a time & place each day to make reading a part of your daily life. Try to make it a realistic time that works for everyone in the house you are encouraging to read. You can also easily keep track of your reading with the library beanstack app. It is kind of like having a virtual bookmark. How cool is that?!
3. Don’t Leave Home Without It (Your current book that is!): Keeping up with your reading is even easier when you keep your current book in hand when headed out the door. Moms can also keep a couple of books in a bag for the younger ones to look at while they are running errands.
4. Share the Joy of Reading: You can feed two birds with one seed by reading to each other. Set aside a special time to share a book together. It is a win-win because you both can earn points in the library beanstack app for the Summer Reading Program and you can earn even more points by reviewing those very same books!
5. Keep it fun: All things on our “to-do” list are always a little more pleasant when we make it a fun experience. Bring the story to life by acting it out together. Dress up for the book. If you are reading Harry Potter, wear a wizard hat, or make a wand together to have while you read. Whatever you do to create the mood for your reading, make it fun!
6. Visit your local library: Harris County has 26 different libraries that provide all kinds of fun programs and story times to keep the whole family enjoying the reading experience. There is something to participate in all year long, but in the summer, there are even more to enjoy centered around the Summer Reading Program. This year’s theme is All Together Now – Kindness, Friendship, Unity and you can sign up online at hcpl.beanstack.org. You can earn points for prizes by reading, doing activities, participating in challenges, and reviews. Get the app and get started on June 5th!
Here are some book suggestions for the whole family: